NGOs, Information Commission/ers and other Resources
- Article 19, Global Campaign for Freedom of Expression promotes the right to freedom of expression and freedom of information.
- Bank Information Center works to influence the World Bank and other international financial institutions to promote social and economic justice and ecological sustainability.
- Carter Center is a US-based organization seeking to prevent and resolve conflicts, enhance freedom and democracy, and improve health. The Access to Public Information Project assists access to information initiatives throughout the world with particular emphasis on the Americas region and in the core countries of Jamaica, Bolivia, Nicaragua, and Mali.
- Carter Center also hosts an International Access to Information and Transparency Events Calendar that posts information on a wide range of conferences and workshops being held around the world, and serves as a central point to share your activities and learn of other organizations' events.
- Centre for Freedom of Information is a joint venture between the School of Law, University of Dundee and the Scottish Information Commissioner. The Centre focuses on the implementation, interpretation and enforcement of laws which provide rights to information globally.
- Centre for Law and Democracy works to promote, protect and develop those human rights which serve as the foundation for or underpin democracy, including the rights to freedom of expression, to vote and participate in governance, to access information and to freedom of assembly and association.
- Commonwealth Human Rights Initiative is an international non-governmental organization, working to ensure the practical realization of human rights in the countries of the Commonwealth. It educates the public about the value of right to information and advocates at policy level for guaranteed access to information. The website is designed to provide legislators, advocates and the public with resources on international and Commonwealth principles and standards on the right to information. The site includes a comprehensive collection of national right to information resources for all 53 countries of the Commonwealth, including legislation, papers and links to other useful websites.
- Freedominfo.org is an online network of freedom of information advocates. The board includes some of the most prominent names in the field of wobbing and research in US, Europe and Asia.
- Freedom of Information Advocates Network is a global network of campaigners in favour of more transparency and the right to freedom of information.
- Global Network for Public Interest Law is a global network to activate, empower and connect those who use legal tools to work in the public interest (previously PILI).
- Global Transparency Initiative is a network of civil society organizations that promote openness in the International Financial Institutions, such as the World Bank, the IMF, the European Investment Bank and Regional Development Banks.
- Global Witness exposes the corrupt exploitation of natural resources and international trade systems, to drive campaigns that end impunity, resource-linked conflict, and human rights and environmental abuses.
- Information Commissioners International collects general information on information commissioners, FOI case law, legislation and latest news.
- International Budget Partnership was formed to nurture the growth of civil society capacity to analyse and influence government budget processes, institutions and outcomes. The website includes several useful resources and publications for monitoring government expenditure.
- Office of the Special Rapporteur on Freedom of Expression, Inter-American Commission on Human Rights works to raise awareness of the importance of the full observance of freedom of expression and information in the Americas. Website includes a report on access to information.
- Privacy International is a London-based human rights group formed in 1990 as a watchdog on surveillance and privacy invasions by governments and corporations. World Survey of FOI Laws.
- Publish What You Fund campaigns for aid transparency urging donors to disclose their aid information regularly and promptly, and in a standardised format that will be comparable with other countries and accessible to all.
- Revenue Watch Institute promotes the responsible management of oil, gas and mineral resources for the public good. Revenue Watch promotes transparent, accountable and effective management of natural resource wealth to help countries avoid the "resource curse".
- The Access Initiative (TAI) is the world's largest network of civil society organizations working to ensure that people have the right and ability to influence decisions about the natural resources that sustain their communities.
- Transparency International is a global civil society organization leading the fight against corruption. TI's network includes more than 90 locally established bodies.
- United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE) provides an overview of access to environmental information worldwide. Information is held in a database and can be searched by region as well as by organization.
- World Bank Institute is the capacity development arm of the World Bank helping countries share and apply global and local knowledge to meet development challenges.
- World Resources Institute is a global environmental think tank that goes beyond research to put ideas into action. The Institute works with governments, companies, and civil society to build solutions to urgent environmental challenges.
Africa and Middle East
Africa Freedom of Information Centre (AFIC) is a pan-African NGO and resource centre that promotes the right of access to information through comparative research, coordinating regional advocacy, facilitating information-sharing and capacity building.
Americas and Caribbean
- Alianza is the Regional Coalition of Freedom of Information and Expression in Latin America, founded in 2006.
- Periodismo por el acceso a la información pública is a network of Latin American media and freedom of information organizations. The network posts on their website articles from various Latin American countries that have been written by using the ATI laws.
Asia and Pacific
- Access Info Europe, a co-editor of Right2Info.org, is a Spain-based organisation that works Europe wide campaigning to promote adoption, reform and implementation of access to information laws.
- European Information Association is a British based organization of information specialists whose aim is to develop, co-ordinate and improve access to EU information. It provides guides to official sources, reports and training.
- Farmsubsudy.org is a project coordinated by EU Transparency, a non-profit organization in the UK and Kaas og Mulvad, a data consultancy in Denmark. It uses freedom of information law to force European governments to release detailed data on how the money for Europe's Common Agricultural Policy is distributed. The data is organized in an online database.
- Scoop is a network, founded in 2003, for investigative journalists in East and Southeastern Europe.
- Statewatch monitors EU transparency and secrecy. Its website provides a great deal of information about FOI in the EU including EU case-law and developments, debates and reform proposals. Also, cases pending at EU courts
- Wobbing.eu is a website that works to motivate and support journalists to use their right of freedom of information as a journalistic tool. It aims to build a network for exchanging experiences and promotes changes in freedom of information legislation. The site provides a status-list on ATI legislation worldwide,
- Legal Leaks is a project and website run by Access Info Europe and n-ost to empower journalists to recoup their role as public watchdogs through exercise of their right of access to information. The website includes several useful tools, like tips to request information in 45 countries.
- Center for Development and Democratization of Institutions (Description of the organization)
- People's Advocate
- Asociación por los Derechos Civiles is a non-governmental human rights organization that also works in the field of freedom of and access to information.
- Center for Legal and Social Studies
- Centro de Implementación de Políticas Públicas Para la Equidad y el Crecimiento (CIPPEC) is focused on helping to solve some of the challenges to human rights, such as deterioration of education and public health, scarce access to justice, weak political institutions, corruption and fiscal insolvency.
- Civil Association for Equality and Justice is an organization based in Buenos Aires that contributes to the strengthening of democratic institutions, fosters a universal commitment to the respect of all fundamental rights, and defends the most vulnerable groups in Argentine society. ACIJ pursues this mission through civil and legal activism, monitoring of government actions, research and dissemination of information, development of public policy proposals, training for civil society organizations, and the establishment of networks of civil society, public and academic actors.
- Directorio Legislativo Foundation is a nonpartisan organization, which promotes the strengthening of legislative branches of governmentand the consolidation of the democratic system, through dialogue, transparency and access to public information.
- Fundación Poder Ciudadano
- Preguntar al Poder is a projekt of the Konrad Adenauer Foundation with the aim of adapting the German model of ,,Bundespressekonferenz" in Argentina in order to facilitate the access to public information and to foster the communication between politicians, institutions and media. (Preguntar al Poder on Facebook)
- Civil Society Institute of Armenia aims to assist and promote the establishment of a free and democratic society in Armenia. The website includes publications on Freedom of Information Regulations in Armenia, Freedom of Information questions and answers, Freedom of Information and Trasparency in Government in Armenia (in English) and The Freedom of Information Principles (in English).
- Freedom of Information Center of Armenia aims at defending the constitutional right to access to information through legal counseling and advocacy, monitoring, campaigns and lobbying for legislative reforms.
- Human Rights Defender of the Republic of Armenia
- Media Law Institute fights corruption through freedom of expression and by strengthening media and law in Armenia. Website includes an Overview of FOI Legislation in Armenia.
- Centre for the Development of Democratic Institutions supports the efforts of new democracies in the Asia-Pacific region to strengthen their political systems.
- Commonwealth Ombudsman
- New South Wales Ombudsman Office released a discussion paper on Review of the Freedom of Information Act 1989.
- Office of the Information Commissioner, Northern Territory
- Office of the Information Commissioner, Queensland
- Office of the Information Commissioner, Western Australia
- Ombudsman Tasmania
- Ombudsman Victoria
- Peter Timmins' FOI blog deals with all issues associated with Freedom of Information and privacy legislation in Australia.
- Queensland Government Freedom of Information website includes a recent review of the Queensland FOI Act. An independent panel produced a report in June 2008 recommending 141 changes to the Queensland FOI Act 1992. In August 2008 the Queensland government accepted the vast majority of the recommendations promising new legislation in 2009 and requiring government agencies to immediately implement as many of the suggested reforms as possible.
- Rick Snell's webpage contains information and resources on FOI as well as a FOI blog.
- The Ombudsman South Australia Office
- Citizen's Labor Rights Protection League assists to establish labor relations compatible with national legislation and international norms. It is engaged in labor rights instruction for employees and activists and renders free juridical assistance to those, whose economic and social rights have been violated.
- NGO Alliance on Informational Issues
- Bangladesh Information Commission
- Bangladesh NGOs Network for Radio and Communication
- Research Initiatives, Bangladesh (RIB) is operationg an ATI resource website that includes analaysis of the RTI law.
- Transparency International Bangladesh
Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Center for Free Access to Information promotes free access to government-held information through advocacy, trainings, and monitoring.
- Ombudsman for Human Rights
- Associação Nacionál de Jornais (ANJ)
- Associação Paulista de Jornais
- Associao Brasileira de Jornalismo Investigativo (ABRAJI)
- Centro de Referencia Legal - Article 19 operated website providing legal information, including laws, national and international jurisprudence and international standards.
- Contas Abertas
- Federação Nacional dos Jornalistas (FENAJ)
- Fórum de Direito de Acesso a Informações Públicas
- Ibase - The Brazilian Institute of Social and Economic Analyses (Ibase) was founded in 1981. Its mission is to build democracy by fighting inequalities and stimulating citizens' participation.
- Instituto de Estudos Socioeconômicos
- Transparência Brasil
- Access to Information Programme works to facilitate the implementation of the constitutionally protected right to information, to encourage individual and public demand for information and for transparency of government.
- State Commission on Information Security
- Commission for Personal Data Protection
- Transparency International Bulgaria
- Canadian Association of Professional Access and Privacy Administrators (CAPAPA)
- Commission d'access a l'information du Quebec promotes, monitors and enforces the implementation of two acts - on access to documents held by public bodies and protection of personal information, and on respecting the protection of personal information in the private sector. The site contains a great deal of information in French including decisions of the Commission (more than 100 a year), organized chronologically and by topic. Materials in both English and French include the relevant laws and regulations; guides to citizens on their rights and the procedures for submitting requests, complaints and appeals; guides for public officers; index of information officers; register of personal information agents; relevant documents; and press releases.
- Manitoba Ombudsman (Access and Privacy Division)
- Office of the Information & Privacy Commissioner of Alberta
- Office of the Information & Privacy Commissioner for British Columbia
- Office of the Information Commissioner of Canada
- Office of the Ombudsman New Brunswick
- Office of the Information & Privacy Commissioner for Newfoundland and Labrador
- Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner Ontario
- Office of the Information & Privacy Commissioner Prince Edward Island
- Office of the Saskatchewan Information & Privacy Commissioner
- Office of the Ombudsman & Information & Privacy Commissioner Yukon
- Right to Know Coalition of Nova Scotia encourages through advocacy and education the use and development of freedom of information legislation to foster a better informed and more politically active electorate and to improve the quality of public and private decision making.
- The Nova Scotia FOI & Protection of Privacy Review Office
- Chile Transparente. Chile Transparente, TI's national chapter in Chile since 1998, works to foster a culture of transparency and probity in Chile. To this end, the chapter works to design indicators to serve as reliable tools in ascertaining the perceptions and reality of transparency and corruption in the country, as well as to systematize and integrate such terms into mainstream language. Chile Transparente considers transparency to be a concept with cross-cutting influence and works to raise awareness about the advantages of transparency within all public and private institutions and organizations, as well as the economic and social costs of corruption.
- Consejo para la Transparencia is the Information Commission of Chile.
- Corporación Participa
- Pro Acceso
- China Law Digest
- The China Law Center
- Freedom of Information in China is a website set up by Yongxi Chen that contains information on FOI regulations in China as well as other resources.
- Greenlaw.org.cn is a website in Chinese hosted NRDC and the China Environmental Culture Promotion Association (CECPA) on environmental matters. Articles relating to open information and how to use information access in the environmental context (as well as information and case studies in the areas of public participation and access to justice) are posted on the website.
- Research on Freedom of Information and Electronic Government in China is a FOIA blog focusing on China set up by Ben Wei.
- Croatia Helsinki Committee is an independent association of Croatian citizens, founded in order to protect and promote human rights. Among other activities, it monitors compliance with the Freedom of Information Act.
- GONG aims to promote and improve access to information, proactive transparency and open data. It publishes yearly monitoring reports on the implementation of the ATI Act and is an active member of the Open Government Partnership Initiative in Croatia. The website of GONG includes useful templates for FOI requests, administrative complaints and appeals.
- Ombudsman's Office
- Partnership for Social Development
- Transparency International Croatia
- Environmental Law Service aims to eliminate cases of unlawful and improper decision-making by state offices in matters of environment and human rights, to help people gain access to courts, to expand the ranks of public-interest lawyers, and to help bring about a high-quality legal code.
- Office of the Public Defender of Rights
- Office for Personal Data Protection
- Otevrena Spolecnost - Open Society runs a project on active public participation through freedom of information. The project has its own website that contains a database of bodies that have duty to give information, details about legal cases involving the violation of the Law on Free Access to Information and a database of judgments and legal analyses.
- Right of Access to Information in Cyprus is an EU-funded initiative that aims at advancing the right to know in both the northern and southern parts of the island of Cyprus. The project aims to stimulate civic action to improve government transparency and foster citizen participation.
- Danish School of Journalism - Mediejura - Medialaw provides an overview of legislation, caselaw and developments in the field of wobbing with the focus on Denmark, Nordic countries and Europe.
- Parliamentary Commissioner for Civil and Military Administration in Denmark
- Data Protection Agency
- Corporación Latinoamericana para el Desarrollo (CLD). (website under construction)
- Grupo Faro
- La Defensoria del Pueblo del Ecuador
- e-Governance Academy was founded for the creation and transfer of knowledge concerning e-governance, e-democracy and the development of civil society. It trains and advises leaders and stakeholders in using information and communication technology to increase government efficiency and to improve democratic processes.
- Estonian Council of Environmental NGOs is an informal cooperation network of Estonian environmental NGO-s. Website includes guidelines on how to submit a request for information about environment.
- Estonian Data Protection Inspectorate
- Estonian Environmental Law Center is an environmental law organization with a purpose to create, collect, disseminate and use expert knowledge on environmental law, in order to enhance development of environmental law and quality of environmental decisions of different levels as well as environmental legislation.
- Georgian Young Lawyers Association aims at promoting rule of law and protecting human rights, works to increase public legal awareness, to promote norms of professional ethics among lawyers, to develop the skills and competence of lawyers and to develop legislative basis for civil society and rule of law. One of the organization's projects deals with implementing freedom of information, legal reform and financial transparency.
- Institute for Development of Freedom of Information
- Liberty Institute is a liberal public policy advocacy foundation. It strives to establish values of civil liberties, active citizenship, public accountability, rule of law, transparency and free market in public life, politics, legislation and within public agencies through civic campaigns, debates, surveys and educational activities.
- Ombudsman's Office
- Transparency International Georgia
- Alliance Pro Information consists of journalist-organisations, civil-liberty activists and a large media think-tank and worked on advocating for the ATI law.
- Brandenburg State Commissioner for Data Protection and Access to Information has been active in networking on wob-questions in Germany and in Europe. The website provides links to German, European and international networks of wob-ombudspersons. Federal Commissioner for Data Protection and Freedom of Information (Bonn)
- Office of the Commissioner for Data Protection and Freedom of Information Berlin provides an overview over legislation in Germany as well as the German network of wob-ombudspersons.
- Office of the Commissioner for Data Protection and Freedom of Information Bremen
- Office of the Commissioner for Data Protection and Freedom of Information Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
- Office of the Commissioner for Data Protection and Freedom of Information Nordrhein-Westfalen provides a website including advise by the government of the province on how to apply the provincial wob.
- Office of the Commissioner for Data Protection and Freedom of Information Saarland
- Office of the Commissioner for Data Protection and Freedom of Information Schleswig-Holstein provides a website with an overview of the law, links to other ombudspersons and tips on how to apply for information.
- Commonwealth Human Rights Initiative's website on Ghana also provides information on freedom of information.
Hong Kong (Territory of China)
- Association for Public Data (TAKA) works with the aim to monitor and promote the efficient enforcement of the Act LXIII on the Protection of Personal Data and Public Access to Data of Public Interest.
- Energia Klub is a non-profit organization active in the energy field. Among other things their work aims to encourage transparency in the energy field.
- Environmental Management and Law Association (EMLA) is a legal environmental organization that also focuses on public participation and access to information in environmental matters.
- National Authority for Data Protection and Freedom of Information
- REFLEX Environment Protection Association is an organization dealing with lobbying for greater protection for the environment and among other issues also promotes access to information.
- TASZ - Hungarian Civil Liberties Union is a law reform and legal defence public interest NGO that among other areas also works with freedom of information.
- Transparency International Hungary is the TI chapter in Hungary.
- Central Information Commission (New Delhi)
- Centre for Good Governance, based in Andhra Pradesh, works to guide governance reforms in Andhra Pradesh, other states in India and the developing world at large, by bringing together and harnessing the power of knowledge, technology and people. Among its focus areas are several that address right to information, including: accountable government, responsive, citizen-focused services, financial management-transparency, anti-corruption work and e-governance.
- Commonwealth Human Rights Initiative's website contains information on FOI in India, including India's Right to Information Act.
- Jammu and Kashmir Right to Information Movement is a group of RTI activists in the State of Jammu & Kashmir working on promotion of RTI compliance by the State Government and raising awareness amongst the public. The website includes links to Jammu and Kashmir RTI legislation.
- Jammu and Kashmir State Information Commission
- Maharashtra State Information Commission
- National Campaign for Peoples' Right to Information (NCPRI) is a movement of committed individuals working towards making the government and society more transparent and accountable. Website includes legal resources on FOI in India.
- Punjab State Information Commission
- RTInet is an initiative of the National Implementing Agency (NIA) for the Government of India-UNDP Capacity Building for Access to Information Program, together with the Centre for Good Governance. It has issued several publications, including guides for public authorities, information officers, appellate authorities, trainers, CSOs and media - see section on Publications: Training Materials and Publications: Media.
- Indonesia Corruption Watch (ICW) provides information and news in relation to corruption issues.
- Indonesian Center of Environment Law (ICEL)Indonesian Ombudsman Commission
- Institute for the Study on Free Flow of Information (ISAI) works on research, awareness-raising and mainstreaming of FOI issues.
- TIFA Foundation promotes an open society in Indonesia which respects diversity and honors the rule of law, justice, and equality.
- Vision of the Children of the Nation (VAB) works to build a new and more democratic Indonesia through the means of communication.
- Freedom of Information Law: Links is a website compiled by Prof. Maeve McDonagh and Darius Whelan that includes links to Information Commissioner's Office, Department of Finance FOI pages, Legislation and Other Materials, Case-law, FOI related articles in Irish Journals, and government websites.
- Office of the Information Commissioner Ireland is an independent government body that reviews decisions of public bodies in relation to FOI requests, reviews the operation of the Freedom of Information Acts and fosters an attitude of openness among public bodies. Website includes information on legislation and on how to make FOI requests. Includes advice on how to submit a FOI request.
- Access to Information Unit of the Ministry of Information is a governmental website that includes information on the number of requests under the ATI Act, including quarterly reports for 2006 and 2007. Reports, however, don't give an adequate list of submitted requests.
- Jamaicans for Justice works primarly with victims whose rights have been breached by members of the security forces but was also among the organizations that lobbied for the passage of the ATI Act, and conducts public education and media campaigns to educate the public about the importance of FOI.
- Green Salvation is an environmental organization that advocates for the right of citizens to receive information regarding the environment.
- Ombudsman for Human Rights
- International Commission of Jurists Kenyan Section is dedicated to the legal protection of human rights in Kenya, and the African region. The website contains legal resources, including the Freedom of Information Bill.
- Kenya Human Rights Commission
- Advocacy Training and Resource Center (ATRC) works in increasing citizen and civil society participation in decision-making. It accomplishes its goals through advocacy, training, information exchange and networking in and out of Kosovo.
- Initiative for Progress (INPO) works to build respect for open society and conscience of responsibility for an accountable and democratic government. INPO conducted successful advocacy campaigns in Ferizaj that have shaped public policies and improved the access of citizens in public services and decision-making process.
- Ombudsperson Institution in Kosovo
- Youth Initiative for Human Rights is a regional non-governmental organization with programmes in the territories of Serbia, Kosovo, Montenegro and Bosnia and Herzegovina. Their work includes monitoring transitional laws and creating case law in the fields of free access to information, hate speech and discrimination.
- Data State Inspectorate of Latvia
- International Latvia works on access to information and transparency issues in Latvia and beyond.
- Commission For Protection of the Right to Free Access to Public Information
- Foundation Metamorphosis aims at development of democracy and prosperity by promoting knowledge-based economy and information society.
- Macedonian Young Lawyers Association aims at raising the quality and the professionalism in the legal community and strengthening the principle of rule of law in Macedonia.
- spinfo.org.mk is an online tool that assists citizens, journalists and all interested parties in submitting Freedom of Information (FOI) applications, as well as to share their experiences related to the exercise of this right and compare them against more than 2,500 cases available on the website.
- Centre for Independent Journalism/FOI Coalition advocates for broader space for expression and views and openness of information in Malaysia. Website contains resources regarding media and freedom of information and expression.
- Ciudadanos por Municipios TransparentesColectivo por la TransparenciaCOTAIPEC provides an extensive list and contacts of information and transparency commissions in Mexico.
- Federal Institute of Access to Public Information (IFAI)
- Fundar: Centro de Análisis e Investigación
- Hewlett Foundation
- Center for Human Rights of Moldova
- Centrul "Acces-info" - Freedom of Expression and Access to Information Centre is active in the implementation of access to information and freedom of expression legislation as well as institutional transparency and public involvement in decision making process.
- Independent Journalism Centre provides assistance to journalists and media institutions and supports professional journalism as well as aims at contributing to the consolidation of a qualitative, independent and impartial press.
- Informational Policy Institute - for organization contacts click here
- Association of Young Journalists of Montenegro. (website currently under construction)
- Network for the Affirmation of NGO Sector (MANS) works to promote citizen's participation in the development, implementation and monitoring of policies and legislation and to combat corruption within government institutions.
- Media Institute of Southern Africa is a non-governmental organisation with members in 11 of the Southern Africa Development Community (SADC) countries. It promotes the free flow of information and co-operation between media workers.
Citizens' Campaign for Right to Information is an organization dedicated for the promotion, protection and implementation of Right to Information laws in Nepal.
Freedom Forum is an organization, working for institutionalization of democracy, protection and promotion of human rights, press freedom, freedom of expression and right to information in Nepal.
- Office of the Ombudsman also investigates complaints about the decisions of ministers and central and local government agencies on requests for official information. Website includes guidelines on how to make an official information request.
- Media Rights Agenda is an independent, non-governmental, not-for-profit organization for the purpose of promoting and protecting media freedom and freedom of expression in Nigeria.
- Campaign for Freedom of Information, Pakistan aims at facilitating the citizens lobby for effective and operational access to information regime in Pakistan. To reach this aim, the organization informs the public about their right to information and trains advocates who encourage people in their communities to file information requests and campaign for the implentation of the right.
- Centre for Peace and Development Initiatives seeks to inform and influence public policies and civil society initiatives through research-based advocacy and capacity building in order to promote citizenship, build peace and achieve inclusive and sustainable development. Special focus is given to transparency and access to information.
- Transparency International - Pakistan
- Pakistan Press Foundation
Papua New Guinea
- Consejo de la Prensa Peruana
- Defensoria del Pueblo
- Instituto Prensa y Sociedad (IPYS)
- Suma Ciudadana
- Access to Information Network
- Action for Economic Reforms is an activist policy group that among other things also advocates for transparency and access to information.
- Philippines Center for Investigative Journalism (PCIJ) is an independent, nonprofit media agency that specializes in investigative reporting. It was founded in 1989 by nine Filipino journalists who realized, from their years on the beat and at the news desk, the need for newspapers and broadcast agencies to go beyond day-to-day reportage.
- Commission of Access to Administrative Documents (CADA Portugal)
- National Data Protection Commission
- Alburnus Maior is an NGO based in Rosia Montana, Romania, which opposes Gabriel Resources' proposed gold mining project there.
- Association for the Defence of Human Rights in Romania - Helsinki Committee is a non-governmental organization that aims at promoting and protecting civil rights and encouraging accountability of law enforcement officials. It also works on anti-discrimination and access to justice issues.
- Association for Implementing Democracy focuses on political accountability, leadership based on values and citizen participation in decision-making processes. The activities of the organization include raising the transparency and accountability of central and local government, producing analysis and research studies regarding political and institutional reform, particularly in the fields of political accountability, justice and integrity.
- Asociatia Pro Democratia works on strengthening the relation between the electorate and its elected representatives, observing the correctness of the electoral process, civic education, citizens' participation in the process of public policies drafting, the transparency of public institutions and their control by the civil society and protecting human rights.
- Center for Independent Journalism (CIJ) organizes courses, seminars, debates, round-tables and professional assistance focusing on media specific problems. CIJ is a project of the Independent Journalism Foundation, New York, which operates similar centers in Bratislava and Budapest.
- Center for Legal Resources engages in the establishment of a legal and institutional framework that guarantees respect for human rights and equal opportunities, free access to a fair trial, and promotes legal expertise in the interest of all individuals.
- Expert Forum is a think tank focusing on administrative reform and integrity, decentralization and public finance, justice reform and anticorruption; social policy and pensions, energy and transport, health.
- Institute for Public Policy is a think-tank with the aim to support the development of democratic processes in Romania through in-depth research, comprehensive debates and nonpartisan public policy analysis.
- IRT -- Romanian Institute of Training is a nongovernmental, independent, non-political and not-for-profit organization set up in September 2002 by a group of independent trainers and consultants. IRT has been offering training and technical assistance programs for several categories of clients and beneficiaries: public administration institutions, businesses, NGOs.
- People's Advocate Institution (Ombudsman)
- Soros Foundation Romania focuses on critical issues for the development of the Romanian society, streaming its financial and human efforts towards advocacy activities, also gaining and providing substantial expertise in fields such as migration and inclusion of vulnerable and marginalized minorities.
- Institute for Information Freedom Development conducts research on the theoretical and practical aspects of ensuring the right of citizens and organizations for access to information.
- Phoenix Fund works to conserve the rich biodiversity of the Russian Far East through initiating, funding and implementing conservation projects.
- Office of the Scottish Information Commissioner
- The Campaign for Freedom of Information in Scotland contains links to publications on the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act and the proposals which preceded it.
- Forum Civil is a civil society organization dealing with fight against corruption, transparency, promotion of investigative journalism as well as with other human rights issues.
- Commissioner for Information of Public Importance and Personal Data Protection is an individual government body that was established under the Law on Free Access to Information of Public Importance. The Commissioner's office monitors authorities' compliance with the ATI law, initiates proposals for amendments, trains government personnel, decides upon appeals against decisions rendered by government bodies, which violate the ATI law.
- Lawyers' Committee for Human Rights (YUCOM) is an expert, voluntary, non-governmental organization that promotes and advocates for rule of law and human rights and deals with raising public awareness, leading civic initiatives and rendering legal assistance. Website includes reports on freedom of information in the region.
- Ombudsman Republike Srpske - Human Rights Protector
- Society for Democratic Initiatives works on freedom of information, freedom of expression, anti-corruption, legal aid, human rights education, juvenile justice, women's rights and good governance.
- Citizen and Democracy Association provides legal aid in cases concerning public interest information, monitors implementation of Act on Free Access to Information, promotes legislation favourable to the right to information and trains employees of public administration on the implementation of the Act on Free Access to Information.
- Environmental Lobbying Facility works to strengthen the capacities and skills of Slovak environmental and human rights NGOs to influence particular aspects of public policy and decision making. For information about the organization's activities regarding freedom of information, click here.
- Fair-play Alliance aims at pushing for ethical, transparent, professional and effective public administration and political representation through increasing transparency of public affairs as well as monitoring and investigation that lead to public disclosure and systematic change.
- The Public Defender of Rights
- Freedom of Expression Institute is an organization fighting for freedom of expression, against censorship, for access to information, media diversity and law reform in these fields. Website includes useful resources on freedom of information.
- Open Democracy Advice Centre gives free confidential legal advice to whistle-blowers and people who make requests of information. It assists the private and public sector to comply with the provisions of the law through providing training.
- Public Protector
- South African Human Rights Commission
- El Defensor del Pueblo (Spanish Ombudsman)
- Govern Obert (Open Government) is an initiative started by citizens of the Valencian Community preoccupied by the difficulties experienced with the access of information handled by the public institutions of the Community.
- Sustentia is a consulting company whose mission is to help economic and social actors towards sustainable and responsible development and to contribute with the social impact improvement of civil society organizations' performance. One of the focus areas is access to information, click here.
- Civil Rights Defenders (previously known as Swedish Helsinki Committee) has a freedom of expression programme that also cooperates with media networks to promote small and independent media outlets in areas where alternative sources of information are scarce.
- Parliamentary Ombudsman
- Media Council of Tanzania is one of the members of the FOI coalition in Tanzania, lobbying to adopt an ATI law and a Media Services Bill. The website includes drafts of both laws.
Trinidad and Tobago
- Bilgi Edinme Hakki
- Bilgi University
- Turkish Economic and Social Studies Foundation (TESEV) is an independent think-tank, which forms a bridge between academic research and the policy-making process.
- Foundation for Human Rights Initiative is a human rights advocacy organization that deals with training, education, research, advocacy and lobbying.
- Human Rights Network Uganda (HURINET-U)
- National Association of Professional Environmentalists in Uganda
- Environment People Law provides assistance to individuals and legal persons in the protection of environmental rights, promotes the development of the environment protection, environmental education, science and culture.
- International Renaissance Foundation operates and supports an array of programs and initiatives that promote the process of national rebirth and democratic development in four broad areas: education, civil society, culture and publishing.
- Parliament Commissioner for Human Rights
- BBC FOI blog includes links to exposés and comments on the use of the FOI law in the UK.
- Campaign for Freedom of Information is a non-profit organization working to improve public access to official information and to ensure that the Freedom of Information Act is implemented effectively. It operates in Britain and Scotland.
- Constitution Unit: (Freedom of Information and Data Protection, University College London) reviews information policy decisions and provides training and consultancy services in FOI and DP issues.
- Cyber-Rights & Cyber-Liberties promotes free speech and privacy on the Internet and aims at raising public awareness of these issues.
- Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) provides information about access to environmental information.
- Information Commissioner's Office
- Information Research Institute (TIRI) does research on the techniques and processes used in creating, acquiring, storing, transmitting and exploiting information.
- Ministry of Justice is responsible for freedom of information policy in the UK.
- National Archives provide historical documents and data.
- American Society of Access Professionals (ASAP) is a nongovernmental, independent, educational, not-for-profit association founded in 1980 by concerned federal government employees and private citizens as a professional forum dedicated to bringing government FOIA and Privacy Act personnel in touch with the requester community.
- Columbia Journalism Review provides a thorough overview of WOB and privacy links on its Powerreporting.org resource site.
- Connecticut Freedom of Information Commission
- Electronic Privacy Information Center is a public interest research center in Washington, D.C. It publish reports and books about privacy, open government, free speech, and other topics related to civil liberties.
- Freedom of Information Center is a reference and research library in the Missouri School of Journalism. The website includes a lot of legal resources such as national and international FOI laws, samples of information requests, media law guide, etc.
- Investigative Reporters and Editors (IRE) has a FOI and First Amendment Center that is designed to be a central repository for IRE information about FOI activities in the US. It provides links to valuable FOI resources, and examples of, and guidance for filing, FOI requests.
- National Freedom of Information Coalition works to protect the public's right to oversee its government. It offers grants to foster the creation and growth of state FOI coalitions to protect the public's right to an open government. Resources include an e-newsletter on FOI and state and federal legislation.
- National Security Archive at the George Washington University in Washington DC is among the most systematic users of the WOB. National Security Archive runs FOI-cases and provides a collection of de-classified documents obtained through Freedom of Information requests.
- New York State Committee on Open Government is responsible for overseeing and advising with regard to the Freedom of Information, Open Meetings and Personal Privacy Protection Laws. Website includes links to all the laws as well as other legal resources.
- Office of Government Information Service
- Public Citizen is a consumer advocacy organization fighting for openness and democratic accountability in government and for the right of consumers to seek redress in the courts. Includes Resources for FOIA Legal Research on the Internet.
- Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press is a nonprofit organization that since 1970 has been working to provide free legal assistance to journalists. It provides a thorough FOI resources, and it provides a letter generator.
- The FAS Project on Government Secrecy works to promote public access to government information and to illuminate the apparatus of government secrecy, including national security classification and declassification policies.
- Center for Access to Public Information (CAINFO)
- Instituto de Estudios Legales y Sociales del Uruguay (IELSUR)
Databases and publications that collect and/or summarize RTI case law from the whole country or from the work of a particular NGO.
International - Right2Info.org
African RTI case law - African Network of Constitutional Lawyers
Bulgaria - Access to Information Program
Peru - Justicia y Transparencia
Romania - Jurisprudenta Legii 544/2001
Russia - Freedom of Information Foundation
United States - The FOIA Project
Websites that either collect and publish government-held information or provide a chance for citizens to submit information requests, and review the requests of others.
Brazil - Queremos Saber
Canada, British Columbia - Open Information
Chile - Acceso Inteligente
European Union - Ask the EU
France - data.gouv.fr
Germany - Frag den Staat
Honduras - Solicitud de Informacion
Ireland - The Story
Kenya - Kenya Open Data
Kosovo - Informata Zyrtare
Macedonia - Spinfo
Mexico - Infomex Gobierno Federal
New Zealand - For Your Information
Norway - Offentlig Elektronisk Postjournal
United Kingdom - What Do They Know
Uruguay - ¿Qué Sabés?
Please send us links to any materials that you would like us to post, or pdf versions if a document is not posted anywhere.